Greenshot 0.8 beta is out

We have released a new version of Greenshot. With this release, version 0.8 is no longer flagged “unstable” :)
Download
Thanks to everyone who helped us creating the best Greenshot version ever by testing and providing feedback.

So what’s new in Greenshot 0.8 beta?

Some of the most obvious (and most requested) features can be found in the image editor: for example, there’s a new tool for cropping the screenshot down to the desired size.
Very handy: attaching the screenshot to a email right out of Greenshot.
We also added new utilities for highlighting things on a screenshot, you can also obfuscate things by blurring or pixelizing them.
These are just some of the new features of Greenshot 0.8 – please have a look at the release notes at the end of this post for further information.

At least as much has changed under the hood – we have refactored quite a lot of the code and optimized things so that the new version performs much better and is more stable. Of course, we have also fixed many bugs, e.g. the odd “GDI+ exception” some of the users encountered often, problems when copying screenshots to the clipboard, etc…

We hope you like the new version as much as we do :)

P.S.: Greenshot is flattrable (do you say so?) now – if you are using Flattr, you might want to flattr here :) If you are not, have a look at their concept of contributing to “the internet”… Or consider to support the development of this screenshot software in another way. Thank you :)

Bugs resolved:
* save-as dialog honors default storage location again
* fixed loop when holding down prnt key [ 1744618 ] – thanks to flszen.users.sourceforge.net for supplying a patch
* fixed displayed grippers after duplicating a line element
* fixed a lot of GDI+ exceptions when capturing by optimizing memory usage

* typo [ 2856747 ]
* fixed clipboard functionality, should be more stable (not throwing exception with “Requested Clipboard operation did not succeed.”) Bugs [ 2517965, 2817349, 2936190 ] and many more* fixed clipboard to work with OpenOffice [ 1842706 ]

* fixed initial startup problems when creating the startup shortcut
* fixed exceptions when save path not available, incorrect or no permission when writing (will use SaveAs)
* fixed camera sound is sometimes distorted
* fixed region selection doesn’t take the right size
* fixed bug when capturing a maximized window: wrong size was taken and therefore additional pixels were captured
* fixed capture bug which prevents a lot of people to use Greenshot (in 0.7.9 this was a “GDI+” exception).
Problem was due to allocating the bitmap in the memory of the graphic card which is not always big enough.

Features added:
* Optimized memory usage
* Added crop tool
* Added clipboard capture
* Added plugin support
* Added Bitmaps as object
* Added filters for wiping sensitive information as was suggested in e.g. [ 2931946 ]
* Added open from file
* Added the captured window title (even when capturing a region) as option for the filename pattern
* Added shadows which where supplied as patch in 2638542 and 2983930
* Added Email as Output (a MAPI supporting Email client should be available)
* Added double-click on icon to open last save location in Windows Explorer (or replacements)
* Changed configuration loading to better support portable Greenshot usage.
* Changed language from compiled resources to flexible xml files, user can add their own languages
* Added “Select all” option for image editor
* Added “Drag to”, you can now drag images or image files to the Greenshot image editor.

This entry was posted in Releases and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Greenshot 0.8 beta is out

1. Hamers says:

L.S.,

I was wondering, does Greenshot 0.8 Beta supports Terminal Server environments (yet)?

Kind regard,

Sjaak Hamers

2. greenshot says:

Just tested on Windows Terminal Server, which worked fine for me, just like on the desktop. Have you encountered problems with this?

3. NAT Helpdesk says:

Error in interactive windows screenshot function
    We found an error in the interactive window screenshot function. If you select a window (not the active one) which is overlapped by another one the screenshot does not show the complete window. It just shows the window as you can see it (with the overlapping window in one corner).

4. greenshot says:

Whether this is an error or not depends on what one intends to take a screenshot of. This behavior can as well be desired, e.g. when capturing a window with a modal dialog or popup window in front. Greenshot 0.9 will have an option to configure whether overlapping windows shall be captured or not, so that users can decide how Greenshot shall handle this :)

5. Martin says:

Hello

Will it be possible to add speech bubbles to your captures?
    Will it be possible to group and ungroup shapes by selecting
    them, right click and choose Group og Ungroup?

Thank you.

kind regards,
    Martin

6. Tim says:

Very Nice. I like the green :-). The text editor is excellent too.

I am not sure where I should post comments if at all. It would be nicer still if
    It said that it worked with 64 bit windows in a “system requirements” section on the site. I thought that “system requirements” were de rigeur. Greenshot does work with 64 bit windows. I am very pleased.
    There were someway of changing the hotkeys even if from a text file or xml file (e.g. log4net). I don’t need a window to be able to change the hotkeys. Change them once and they are changed for life. On my keyboard print requires I press the function key near bottom left plus F11 near top right, requiring the use of both hands on rarely used keys and I am used to another hotkey on 32 bit only software.

But otherwise excellent. I am a teacher. I was using 32 bit MWsnap and Sn****t when I can affort it. Sn****t has scrolling window, text capture and settable hotkeys so I am not going to be able to go Green for a whilte yet.

7. greenshot says:

Thanks for your suggestions, Martin.
    There are good chances for both features to be implemented, we have had similar ideas.
    However, I cannot make any promises on whether or when, since we are developing Greenshot in our free time and free time is limited ;-)

I have just created two feature requests for speech bubbles and element grouping, you can monitor those to be notified when there’s something happening.

8. greenshot says:

Thanks for your feedback :)
    Currently, there is no way to change the hotkeys, but this is something that we are definitely going to implement soon.
    Capturing scrolling windows is also on our todo list with high priority, however, this feature is a little tricky to accomplish.

Thanks for you suggestion about 64bit systems, you are right – we should add this info to our homepage somewhere :)

9. oliver says:

First let me say that I love this little app. Then let me add on to the customizable hotkey request. It would be nice to have the ability to change the output of a particular hotkey. For instance I want to print with one combination and save to my clipboard with another while yet another will email or save to disk. I know that the functionality is there when you set the output for image editor but it would be nice in some situations to be able to tap one or two buttons and proceed with my normal workflow. Food for thought anyway and thank you for your work.

10. Hi,

Nice app but needs some improvements like :
    .. snapshot a scrolling window
    .. centered snapshot in the editor, it will be usefull to use tools
    .. maybe a zoom in editor

regards

Olivier

11. greenshot says:

Thanks for your feedback. Something similar has been suggested not long ago, so I have created a feature request for this:

The solution could be a hotkey / toggle key or button. We just have to take care that it doesn’t get too complicated :)

12. greenshot says:

Olivier, thanks for your feedback, too. There are also feature requests matching your proposals :) A lot of cool features left to implement :)

13. cristofer morley says:

Great product! This has really hit the mark. I’ve tested them all and this has the basics down pat. The only thing I really miss is a ‘pencil’ tool for quick drawing. Any chances this is comming?